• Working Hours: 8am - 6pm
  • info@ngasinitravel.com

World Biodiversity Hot spots

Udzungwa Mountains National Park was established in 1992 and officially opened by the former President and founder of WWF (World Wildlife Fund for Nature) Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. The word “Udzungwa” comes from the word “Wadsungwa” referring to one of the native sub-tribes of the “Hehe” people who once lived on the slopes of the mountains.

The park covers an area of 1990 km2 where geographically, 20% of the total area lies in the Morogoro region while the remaining 80% is in the southern highland region of Iringa.


These are places of interest inside the park, where tourists can visit, typically for their inherent or exhibited natural or cultural value, historical significance, natural or built beauty, offering leisure, adventure, and amusement. They include; waterfalls (Mwaya Waterfall, Njokamoni Waterfall), nature trails for hiking, (summit to highest peaks of Luhomero and Mwanihana), reptiles and amphibians, tropical rainforests, Sanje Crested Mangabey and Iringa Red Colobus Monkeys,

Getting There:

By road network from Dar es Salaam (380km) as well as Arusha, Kilimanjaro, and Mbeya. There are two airstrips Msolwa and Kilombero which can be used by tourists through air transport before they connect using hired vehicles to the park’s main gate.

 NOTE: Transport arrangements must be made with the bus companies, tour operators, and air traveling agents for those who use charter/air transport through provided timetables for dates and times of both departure and arrival for a park visit.


Dry season (June – September) and wet season (November – March) when wildflowers are flourishing and plentiful butterflies. For bird watchers, December – February is their best time as most migratory birds are nesting in the park.


The park has various tourism activities that visitors can do during their stay. These activities include; Mountain Climbing to the highest Peaks of Mwanihana (2500m amsl) and Luhomero (2576m amsl), Bird Watching, Swimming, Nature Walks in the Forest and Waterfalls, Picnicking, Filming, Cycling (Organized by the Park and carried outside the Park), Camping and Cultural Tourism.

View On Map :

Feel Free to Ask About This Place :